Things catching dust is a very significant problem, especially when the thing is your computer case. The dust can wear the material off and may end up causing internal damage if you don’t clean it regularly. What’s more, the paint can start wearing off after a while. The best way to avoid this is to paint it. This will make it look new, and it will keep the dust away as well. But how do you do it?
How to Paint a Computer Case?
Here’s a detailed DIY tutorial on how to paint a computer case. Trust us, you don’t need to be a painting expert for this!
Step 1 – The removal
Unplug the computer from the power supply.
Open the computer case and disassemble CPU to remove all the drives, cables, expansion cards, and the power cable. Now, remove the motherboard from the case after unscrewing it.
In some models, you will see 2 additional screws on the inside. If that’s the case with you, go ahead and remove those screws as well.
You must also remove Velcro, stickers, etc. from the computer case. If it is too hard to remove, use a sanding paper. The sanding paper also helps the paint stick better.
Step 2 – The wiping
For this step, you need rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth or a paper towel. Wipe the whole computer case down carefully. Ensure that no dust particles are left behind.
Wait for the alcohol to dry completely. This won’t take too long.
Step 3 – The painting
Use the spray paint from a distance of 8-12 inches. Spray it evenly throughout. Wait until it dries completely. You can check the paint’s container for details about drying time. Apply a second coat.
Once it dries, you can apply a clear coat for added protection.
Step 4 – The assembly
After the final coat dries, you can assemble the motherboard, drives, cables, etc. again. Screw it back and plug it in!
Things to keep in mind while painting your computer case
The process may be simple and quick, but there are a few things you should remember to do the job well. Here are a few pointers:
- Choose a good automotive paint for your computer case.
- Keep the initial paint color and finish in mind while buying the new paint. If you want to change the color, you can do that as well.
- The type of finish is completely up to you. You can choose glossy, satin, or matte based on your preferences.
- A clear coat at the end is optional but recommended. It protects the paint and prolongs its life.
- Always paint in a well-ventilated area, away from closed enclosures.
- Keep the drives, motherboard, etc. safe while painting the computer case.
Painting a computer case can be your personal project, which gives you the freedom to choose how your computer case looks. But, the more important reason for painting should be its protection. Aesthetics are just a bonus.
People also ask
Here are the answers to a few commonly asked questions.
1) What kind of paint do you use on a computer case?
A good automotive paint is the ideal choice.
2) Is it safe to spray paint a PC case?
No, it is not.
3) Can I paint a computer case?
Of course, you can.
4) How do you get paint off a computer case?
You can use Zip Strip or any similar product to remove paint off a computer case.
5) Can you repaint you a computer case?
Yes, it is possible to remove the automotive paint and repaint your computer case.
6) Is it okay to paint your laptop?
Yes, it is okay to paint a laptop. But, make sure you only paint the outside.
7) Do skins protect your laptop?
Yes, they can protect your laptop from scratches and smudges.
If you have any doubts or questions regarding the process, please comment, and we will reach out to you. Have fun while painting!