eGPU is nothing but an external graphics processing unit. Until recently, the GPU within the laptop would suffice, and video editors & gamers did not need anything else. But times are changing very quickly. Today, everyone wants a sleek and portable laptop that’s not heavy. This is where the GPU suffers the most. Lighter laptops have to do away with the GPU to meet with the aesthetic demand.
So, does that mean that gamers have to choose? Can they only opt between gaming and portability, but not both? No!
There are eGPU compatible laptops in the market today that will help you get the best of both worlds. This means that you can carry your laptop wherever you want and connect your external GPU when you need to.
Best Laptop for eGPU
So, which is the best laptop for eGPU? Since every laptop is not compatible, you must be careful while making a choice. Our list will definitely help you in your quest. Here we go.
1. Razer Blade Stealth Ultrabook
This is a wonderful laptop that has all the features you could ask for right from external graphics support to UHD 4K touch. It has so many amazing features that you will be tempted to buy it right away. Don’t believe us? Read on, and you will understand.
- It has a Quad-core Intel Core i7-8565U (8th generation) and NVIDIA GeForce MX150.
- It is a 13.3-inch laptop with a 4K touch.
- The laptop also has a 16 GB dual memory.
- It is known to be light and ultraportable since it is very thin. It is durable at the same time, thanks to its CNC unibody aluminum frame.
- The Razer Croma keyboard features a single-zone RGB lighting that offers 16.8 million colors! The touchpad, on the other hand, has precision glass.
- The 4K display brings games to life because it also has a 100% sRGB color space.
- It has a great number of connection options, including USB-C, USB-A, Thunderbolt, dual-array mics, Windows Hello infrared camera, and Wireless AC.
- Its long-lasting battery powers the laptop for around 8 hours.
- The laptop also has 4 stereo speakers and an amplifier. The audio boost is simply amazing!
- Although by default, the laptop has 512 GB storage, you can always upgrade it.
2. Lenovo Yoga 920 Laptop for eGPU
As far as we can tell, Lenovo has always managed to stay in the frontlines. Its range of laptops are of superior quality and outperform many in their league. Lenovo Yoga 920 is no different, and that is why it is on our list today. Below are a few of its many exciting features:
- It has the 8th generation Intel Core i7-8550U processor.
- It is a decently-sized laptop at 13.9 inches. It has an LED display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. The display is nearly edgeless, making it extremely sleek and portable.
- Its memory is 8 GB, while the SSD gives you 256 GB.
- It comes with Windows 10 already installed. Windows Hello allows you to login instantly without wasting any time.
- The laptop comes with an active pen.
- It has a fingerprint reader, which means that it provides fool-proof security.
- You can use the Thunderbolt 3 port to connect your external GPU to the machine. It also has USB 3.0 and 3.5 mm audio ports.
- We also love that the laptop promises crystal clear audio through its JBL and Dolby Atmos speakers.
- Please remember that the laptop does not have CD/VD drives.
3. ASUS ROG Zephyrus
Did you really think we would have a list of the best eGPU laptops without an ASUS device? ASUS has continually proven that it is a force to reckon, and its ROG Zephyrus is proof of the same. Its features are simply irresistible. Some of them are as follows:
- It is a large laptop with a display of 15.6 inches. However, it is also light and ultra-slim. Its thickness is just 0.78 inches!
- The machine has the power of NVIDIA GTX 1070.
- It works on the 6 Core Intel Core i7 8750H (8th generation) and has the capacity to go up to 3.9 GHz.
- The display is a Full HD IPS with an AHVA gaming panel.
- Its refresh rate is 144 Hz, while its response time is 3 ms.
- The laptop has been designed to be cool and is usually 20% cooler than conventional laptops. This is thanks to its 12V fans and the ROG-exclusive active aerodynamic system.
- The GPU switch mode helps you switch from discrete to integrated graphics (and vice versa) without problems. This also enables you to enjoy better battery life and powerful gaming.
- The keyboard has aura sync with a durability of 20 million key presses.
- The RGB lighting control on the keyboard is 4-zone with an n-key rollover.
- It has a 1 TB FireCuda hybrid drive with 256 Gb PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD.
- Connection ports include USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, HDMI, USB-C, headphone/microphone jack, etc.
4. Apple MacBook Pro for eGPU
MacBooks are known to be sleek and powerful at the same time. So you shouldn’t be surprised at all that the new Apple MacBook Pro is one of our top choices. Here are a few reasons why:
- It has a display of 13 inches with Retina Display as well as True Tone Technology. The IPS panel offers a stunning resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels.
- It has not one or two but 4 Thunderbolt ports. You can use one of them for your external GPU and the rest as you please!
- The MacBook has an 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor (Quad-core).
- It comes with an ultrafast SSD at 3.2 GB/sec speed. You can choose the storage capacity from 128, 256, and 512 GB variants.
- It works on the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655.
- It offers a Turbo Boost of up to 5.0 GHz.
- Its battery life is among the best in its league at up to 10 hours with normal usage.
- You can use the brilliant touch ID and touch bar to unlock, navigate, and use the laptop seamlessly.
- The laptop also has a headphone jack.
- The only thing that may steer you away from the MacBook is that it doesn’t have any USB A ports, which are still common and necessary.
5. Acer Predator Helios 300 Laptop for eGPU
This Acer machine is an ace! There’s barely a feature that will disappoint you or leave you wanting more. It wins across the board quite wonderfully. Keep reading, and you will know we are not exaggerating!
- The display is full HD, widescreen, and IPS. Its size is 15.6 inches.
- It has the Intel Core i7 9750H 6-core processor (9th generation).
- It comes with Windows 10 (64-bit) pre-installed.
- The Acer Predator has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Graphics, which makes it a superior machine. Add to this the 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM, and you’ve got yourself an absolute winner.
- A few of its main features are 3ms overdrive response time, 144 Hz refresh rate, 72% NTSC, and 300 nit brightness.
- It has a backlit keyboard.
- The laptop has a 4th generation Aeroblade 3D fan that keeps the heat down and the performance up.
- A 16 GB DDR4 memory, 512 GB PCIe SSD, and a hard drive bay are some of its other attractions.
- Its Wi-Fi connectivity is supposed to be the best in its league when it comes to speed because it uses Killer AX1650.
- The laptop has PredatorSense that promises customized gaming and control like never before.
- Connectivity ports available on the laptop are USB 3.1, Ethernet, Mini Display Port, USB Type-C, and HDMI 2.0.
With this list, you will be able to choose the best laptop for eGPU without any problems. If you run into difficulties, though, please feel free to contact us, and we will be happy to assist. All the best!