When Sony announced in 2018 that remote play was now possible for PS4, we all rejoiced. However, the stipulations were too many. Apart from an outstanding internet connection, you also need at least 15 Mbps download speed. Now, even if you have the best Wi-Fi in the world, the controller will end up giving you problems due to slow responses. So, how do you eliminate all this and continue playing on your monitor? How do you use your laptop as a monitor without worrying about the remote play?
How to use a Laptop as a Monitor for ps4?
The answer is simple – HDMI! But first…
Can you use a laptop as a monitor for PS4?
Let’s answer this question before going forward with the other doubts. Yes, you can use your laptop as a monitor for PS4. But, your laptop should have a video input. That is quite rare and probably not even possible anymore. So, what’s the solution? A capture card.
A capture card such as Elgato will solve all your problems and ensure that you use your laptop as a monitor for PS4 without any issues whatsoever. If you don’t already have a capture card, we recommend that you buy one before proceeding with the actual steps.
How to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4?
Along with the capture card, make sure you have a USB-C to USB-A converter, which is USB 3.0 compliant. If your laptop has a USB-C port, you don’t have to worry about this. Now, follow the steps below:
- Use the official website to download the desktop application of your capture card.
- Connect the PS4 and the laptop with your HDMI cable.
- Use the USB-C to USB-A cable to connect the capture card to your laptop.
- Launch the desktop application that you downloaded earlier. If you are facing difficulties here, you can set it up manually. This process is quite easy, as well.
- Once everything is loaded, you are ready to fire up your PS4.
Things to remember
- Unless you have the capture card and the required cable, this method will not work.
- You can use your keyword for input, but remember that you won’t get the same efficiency as your controller. However, it works well when you don’t have your PS4 controller and are itching to play a new game!
- You don’t have to worry about the specs of your laptop. Your PS4 will take care of the processes, and your laptop will not take any load. It only works as a monitor. Thus, even a regular laptop is good enough.
People also ask
We have answered a few FAQs here. You might find them useful.
1) Can I use laptop as monitor for PS4?
Yes, you can. You will need to connect it using your laptop’s HDMI port.
2) Can I use laptop as a monitor?
Yes, you can.
3) Can I connect 2 laptops with HDMI?
If you have 2 HDMI ports, yes.
4) Do laptops have video input?
No, they usually only have video output.
5) Is it better to play PS4 on monitor or TV?
We would recommend a TV for PS4. But, it also depends on your personal choice.
6) How do I play sound through my monitor?
You can do this only if your monitor has in-built speakers. If yes, enable them and they will start playing sound.
In first glance, if you feel overwhelmed by the requirements, please don’t worry. It is all right! It is actually a very simple process with a one-time setup. Once you go through with it, you will be able to enjoy playing on the laptop without remote play. That will surely take the headache away from you!
If you have any other doubts regarding your PS4 or if you would just like to offer suggestions, please feel free to do so in the comments section. We are always here to help!
One thought on “How to Use Laptop as Monitor for PS4 Without Remote Play: HDMI Rescue”
Thank you for sharing such an amazing guide. Do you have any recommendations for what brand capture card should I use?